Monday, October 15, 2007

i'm way too old

I received a birthday party invitation this past summer. I was surprised to find out it was for my Grandpa. It was to celebrate 100 years from his birth! What was surprising about that invitation was that he had passed away over 10 years ago. Our extended family was being invited to get together to celebrate and commemorate the life of a great man.
A hundred years is a LONG LONG time, but made me realize how old I am. I am closely associated with someone who was born 100 years ago! And not just associated in a distant, pedigree-chart kind of way, but I lived with my grandparents during college, I have fond memories of my grandpa as a fun and vibrant man.

My other grandfather was born in 1900. I always thought that was a cool year to be born -- it was easy to remember his age when I was a kid. But that puts him at 107 this year.



So who else have we been associated with in our lifetime?
Ronald Reagan would have been 96 years old this year.

That may not surprise you, but John F Kennedy was always the epitome of youth and vigor. He wasn't much younger than Reagan . . . he was born in 1917 and would have been 90 years old this year.



David O. McKay was the prophet when I was a child. He would have been 134 years old this year.


Kathryn Hepburn and John Wayne are two great American icons that were both born the same year as my grandfather -- 1907. Although well known to me, they probably wouldn't be recognized by my children by name or by sight (even John Wayne's very recognizable voice is unfamiliar to them). In 1907, World War I was still several years away.

Here's a tidbit of information that may help you in a game of trivia one day. UPS was founded in 1907. Who knew? (Who cares?)

It shouldn't surprise me that we are all aging. It's a fact of life. It just surprises me that the numbers are looming so big. Half of my siblings have passed the 50 year mark. Luckily several of us are so much more youthful and have a ways to go to that mark. We'll all get there soon enough . . .

In the meantime, let's just enjoy the ride!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDPA !!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Lauri said...

Do you know what is crazy about that picture of Grandpa with Curtis...he's just a little older than I am now. I love all of the anti-aging products on the market!

Cynthia said...

You've got to be kidding! He looks like a grandpa! (surely you're not a grandma!!)