Friday, September 7, 2012

alarm clock + hiking = math equation

I set my alarm to head out on a hike this morning as the sun was coming up.  It's the only time of day that is a little bit less hot than all the other times of the day. I'm not sure how the human brain works, but as the alarms rings at 5:20, I suddenly go into a complicated mathematical equation regarding how much hotter it would be if I hike a little later in the morning? and if I hike later, will there be parking available? and will I still be able to hike on the shady side of the mountain? and if not, which other trail would I choose? and how late can I leave the house before it is miserable outside? All of this thought process takes place before I get my shoulder back under the covers after I turn off the alarm. My 5:50 hike began this morning at 6:55. The upside to sleeping in today is that is was overcast and therefore a little bit cooler, although the term "cool" is relative - temperatures in the 90's isn't cool unless it's just recently cooled down from 112 degrees.
It was actually quite pleasant this morning. It started lightly sprinkling before I was at the halfway point, nothing to worry about so I went on.  Then about 20 minutes before I expected to be back at the car, the rain really started coming down.  I was quickly soaked, but it still felt good. I would have done one more short loop, but the trail was turning into a little stream and I started getting worried about my phone and music getting wet. The desert sure looks and smells pretty in the rain. Even the rocks are more colorful. Love it.


2 comments:

Roxanne Reynoso said...

I never replied to your text today - I will give you a call tomorrow! But I do math ALL THE TIME in the mornings! I have class at 7:30 am Mondays and Wednesdays, at 9:00 am Tuesdays and Thursdays, and an internship to be at at 11:00 am Fridays. I have to dress differently depending on the day and if my hair looks alright I can get away with not washing it that day. So half asleep, I figure out how much time it will take me to get ready, when I have to leave the house to be at school on time to walk to class, and count backwards from that time. It's a mess and I end up confusing the days half the time anyways!

Lauri said...

I do the math the night before because once the alarm goes off, I'm not sleeping soundly anymore. I like every minute of sleep possible.

You're lucky you didn't get washed away in the storm. That came up very suddenly!