Sunday, January 23, 2011

lake havasu city

Dave and I decided to take a quick trip over to Lake Havasu City to see the Hot Air Balloon Festival. We aren't the best at trip planning apparently. We got caught up with business issues Friday morning and left town 3 hours late so we missed the opening, the sky divers etc. We got into town late afternoon. Our GPS was broken, we didn't mapquest anything and Lake Havasu is a bigger city than I thought. We had to call the hotel to get direction and the hotel employee spoke a dialect of English that I did not recognize so we wandered around for a bit. We finally found the hotel, dumped our bags in the room then went to find a restaurant and wandered for a bit to find that too. We had a nice dinner, but we took a little too long before we left for the Festival. The event info suggested bringing a flashlight as the parking would be at an off site location with no lights. I did pack a flashlight, but left it at the hotel, so we tripped and slipped trying to get out of the parking area in the dark. Our hats and gloves were in our suitcase at the hotel too and it was nippy out. So then after a little hike from the parking lot, we arrived for the Balloon Night Glow event. Here is a picture of what we would have seen had we arrived on time. But instead we were told "Oh yeah, they were all lit up a while ago and were so pretty". Although the event was supposed to go until 9 pm, many of the vendors were shutting down so we rode on the Ferris Wheel and called it a night. Oh, and Dave spotted some antique tractors on display. He is a tractor magnet -- did you ever have any idea that tractors are displayed in so many places? I didn't. He even found an Allis Chalmers just like his.We booked a very inexpensive hotel room. Although it had some nice amenities, the one thing it didn't have was a decent bed. The mattress had the same amount of spring and cushion as the floor. We both had hip and neck kinks by morning.
We vowed to make Saturday a little better. We got up bright and early, stopped by the front office of the hotel for the free continental breakfast which consisted of coffee, pre-packed danishes, a loaf of white bread and a toaster, and packages of craisins. We filled up on craisins and off we went. We arrived on time to see the flag raising ceremony. The first balloon took up a huge flag with the National Anthem playing. Cool. Then there was a mass ascension - balloons going up every few minutes. Cool.There were some old cars displayed. I was enjoying the colors and shapes. I think Dave was enjoying the engines.
After we had our fill of festival events we went over to see the famous London Bridge, had some lunch and headed home. It was a poorly planned yet fun little get-away.


Suzanne Barker said...

Good for you to try! It will get better.

Roxy said...

You and dad are so cute :)

Lauri said...

Only you two can take a disastrous adventure and made it fun and funny.