Tuesday, January 24, 2017

I meant to hike, instead I just went for a stroll

I had good intentions to get up and go on a long invigorating hike yesterday. But there was business paperwork yelling at me from my desk and I stopped to get a head start on that, then phone calls, then e-mails, then well, the day just started. It was overcast all day which is wonderful for hiking. About 2:00 I put on my shoes, filled my water pack, made a grocery list to pick up some items on the way home, then headed out the door. By the time I got to my car, it was sprinkling. I was going to head out anyway, I had a waterproof jacket and hat and sprinkling wasn't going to stop me, I just planned a trail route that wouldn't put me too far from my car in case it started raining in earnest. By the time I had driven 2 blocks, it was raining in earnest! Dang it! So I ran all my errands instead, watching to see if it would let up. Finally about 4:30, it ended and I hopped on a short trail. The desert is beautiful during and after a rain. When things green up in the hills around here, it looks and smells so good. The sky was clearing up, as well as nearing sunset so it was gorgeous. I just strolled on an easy trail for about 40 minutes and headed back to my car before dark. I love having so many hiking trail options within a 10 minute drive from my house. I love the Phoenix Mountain Preserve areas.